The Grade 1 Kentucky Derby on September 12 at famed Churchill Downs has been “mentioned” as a possible goal for Woodbine star, Kentucky-bred SHIRL’S SPEIGHT, owned by Charles Fipke of Vancouver and trained by Roger Attfield.
In an recent interview with Ron Flatter on Horse Racing Nation, Attfield has incorporated the ‘Run for the Roses’ into possible starts for the son of Speightstown – Perfect Shirl by Perfect Soul (Ire) following the bay’s handy win in the Marine Stakes (G3) last weekend at Woodbine. That win followed his impressive debut win on the grass July 4.
Of course, Shirl’s Speiight does not, and will not have, any Derby points, which are used to include horses into the field which has a maximum of 20 starters.
However, with the moving of the race to September 5 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, dozens of horses have been ruled out of the race as they have had a lot more racing than they would have before the first Saturday in May.
Taking a look at the point leaders list, there are many horses still not considered Derby horses from the top 30 points that goes down to just 10 points.
The chance of an ‘undersubscribed’ Derby field grow greater each day.
Attfield said the leading races on Shirl’s Speight goals are the Virginia Derby (G3) Sept. 1, the Jim Dandy (G2) at Saratoga on Sept. 5, the Pat Day Mile (G2) on the Derby undercard at Churchill Downs or perhaps the Woodbine Mile (G1) on turf Sept. 19.
Should Shirl’s Speight race next in the US, he would have to travel without any of his people here at Woodbine including Roger Attfield as they would have to quarantine for 14 days upon return to Canada.
Below the chart is the link to the full story from Horse Racing Nation.
Rank Horse Points Owner(s) Trainer Non-Restricted Stakes Earnings
1. Tiz the Law 272 Sackatoga Stable (Jack Knowlton et al) Barclay Tagg $1,437,400
2. Authentic 200 SF Racing LLC (Gavin Murphy), Starlight Racing (Jack & Laurie Wolf), Madaket Stables LLC (Sol Kumin & Jason Monteleone), Frederick Hertrich III, John D. Fielding and Golconda Stables (Ben Goldberg & Elliot Friman) Bob Baffert $980,000
3. Honor A. P. 120 C R K Stable LLC (Lee & Susan Searing) John Shirreffs $320,000
4. Ny Traffic 110 John Fanelli, Cash is King LLC (Chuck Zacney et al), LC Racing (Glenn Bennett) & Paul Braverman Saffie Joseph Jr. $472,820
5. Art Collector 100 Bruce Lunsford Tommy Drury Jr. $360,556
6. $-King Guillermo 90 Victoria’s Ranch (Victor & Margret Martinez) Juan Carlos Avila $317,050
7. Dr Post 80 St. Elias Stable (Vinnie Viola) Todd Pletcher $331,035
8. Ete Indien 74 Linda Shanahan, Sanford Bacon, Dream With Me Stable Inc., Horse France America, D P Racing LLC (Deron Pearson) & Patrick L. Biancone Racing LLC Patrick Biancone $357,156
9. Modernist 70 Pam & Martin Wygod Bill Mott $369,000
10. Mischevious Alex 50 Cash is King LLC (Chuck Zacney et al) & LC Racing LLC (Glenn Bennett) John Servis $323,410
11. Country Grammer 50 Paul P. Pompa Jr. Chad Brown $66,400
12. Enforceable 43 John C. Oxley Mark Casse $314,550
13. f-Swiss Skydiver 40 Peter J. Callahan Kenny McPeek $626,820
14. Shivaree 40 Jacks or Better Farm Inc. (Fred & Jane Brei) Ralph Nicks $286,005
15. Max Player 40 George E. Hall Linda Rice $237,500
— +Rushie 40 Jim Daniell & Donna Daniell Michael McCarthy $108,000
16. Major Fed 38 Lloyd Madison Farms IV LLC (Fred Schwartz et al) Greg Foley $179,100
17. Storm the Court 36 David A. Bernsen LLC, Exline-Border Racing LLC (Ryan Exline and family & Justin Border), Dan Hudock & Susanna Wilson
Peter Eurton $1,248,851
18. Thousand Words 33 Albaugh Family Stables (LLC Dennis Albaugh & Jason Loustch) & Spendthrift Farm LLC (B. Wayne Hughes) Bob Baffert $237,000
19. Anneau d’Or 32 Peter Redekop B. C., Ltd. Blaine Wright $434,000
Note: One spot in the Kentucky Derby starting gate is an invitation to the European Road to the Kentucky Derby point leaders. The invitation order of
preference: +Nobel Prize (IRE); +Crossfirehurricane; +Chares (GER); +Kameko; +Innisfree (IRE); +Indicative Vote (IRE); Choice of Mine (AUS).
20. Sole Volante 30 Reeves Thoroughbred Racing (Dean & Patti Reeves), Andie Biancone & Limelight Stables Corp. Patrick Biancone $273,510
21. Finnick the Fierce 25 Arnaldo Monge & Rey Hernandez Rey Hernandez $121,700
22. $-Pneumatic 25 Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC (Ron Winchell) Steve Asmussen $79,250
— +Dean Martini 20 Raise the BAR Racing LLC (S. Bradford Rives, Annie Jessee, T. Richard Riney & Diane Jessee) Tom Amoss $300,000
— +Field Pass 20 Three Diamonds Farm (Kirk & Debra Wycoff) Mike Maker $289,960
— +Shared Sense 20 Godolphin LLC (Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum et al) Brad Cox $174,550
23. $-Uncle Chuck 20 Karl Watson, Michael E. Pegram & Paul Weitman Bob Baffert $90,000
24. Candy Tycoon 20 Mathis Stable LLC (Bill & Terry Mathis) Todd Pletcher $84,250
25. $-Winning Impression 20 West Point Thoroughbreds (Terry Finley et al) & Pearl Racing Dallas Stewart $53,000
26. Caracaro 20 Top Racing, Global Thoroughbreds LLC Gustavo Delgado $20,000
27. Attachment Rate 15 Jim Bakke & Gerald Isbister Dale Romans $61,125
28. Azul Coast 14 Karl Watson, Michael E. Pegram & Paul Weitman Bob Baffert $80,500
29. Eight Rings 10 SF Racing LLC (Gavin Murphy), Starlight Racing (Jack & Laurie Wolf), Madaket Stables LLC (Sol Kumin & Jason Monteleone),
Frederick Hertrich III, John D. Fielding and Golconda Stables (Ben Goldberg & Elliot Friman) Bob Baffert $203,351
— +Jesus’ Team 10 Grupo 7 Racing Stable (Alejandro Ceballos) Jose D’Angelo $50,000
30. $-Mystic Guide 10 Godolphin LLC (Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum et al) Mike Stidham $12,000
Read the full story here.